Sunday, October 12, 2008

A very special weekend


As I am writing this I can't help but laugh at the humor life seems to hold for us. I also find myself  with a specific conference talk running through my head.  It was given just last week and had much to do with finding laughter instead of anger when things don't work out the way we intend them too.  Keep that in mind when I share the following:
So, this weekend was a very big weekend on the calendar.  Matt was away training all week and missed Lexi's 4th birthday.  She didn't seem to mind because her and mommy went and had a day out on the town without baby brother tagging along.  I believe it was just the thing we both needed time together.  Then Sat. Matt and I were going to celebrate our 6th wedding anniversary.  It also happened to be that during that week we also reach our 1st anniversary with the decision to join the army.  So, as you can see it called for something big and impressive.  Since we were on a tight budget it couldn't be anything huge.  I had gone ahead and planned a big family/friend party for lexi to share with daddy after he got home.  Wednesday we were sitting around after we got the house in order when it came to me.  We could go stay at the lake here.  They have an army camp ground there where we could stay and be together as a family.  Where we cold have a very nice relaxing weekend.  We stayed with the same company at Ft. Benning the two times we went to see Matt while he was down there.  They were so beautiful and we all had such a great time.  There was a kitchen and a nice bathroom with a double bed and bunk beds.  So, knowing this it sounded like nothing but a good idea.
Ok, Matt gets home and I lay it all out for him.  Lexi is all excited and Matt too.  Well, Matt is blessed with a three day weekend so after some running around in the morning we head for the lake.  We were able to get there and check in around two with plenty of time to swim and play in the lake.  Well, the lake was closed and there was no pool.  I decided that would be just fine.  We'd just watch movies and let the kids run around outside for awhile.  Then with key in hand we pull up to this very scary looking cabin.  The cabin was completely falling apart and so tiny...too tiny.  We decided to try it out anyway.  With Matt right behind me we entered.  Two feet to the right of the door was the "Master bedroom"  with a double bed.  Two feet to the left was a table for two tightly pushed up against the wall. Then as if that wasn't enough five feet ahead of the door was the "guest " room which was much smaller than a shoe box.  In that room they had a bunk bed and a small fridge with a micro wave. Yeah...I'd say I was supposed to laugh but I didn't.  I couldn't!  I was so excited... my family was so excited.  My poor husband sat quite all the way home. He knew  how disappointed we all were.  That was a really bad day.  I really needed to laugh but it was just way to hard at that time to laugh.  
We spent the night in our room with the kids watching movies and sharing treats.  It turned out to be a lot of fun because my husband who loves us so much decided to make it fun.  I'm so grateful for him and for all that he does for us.
The next day we took the kids to miniature golfing.  We shared a round of very competitive golf.  Of course I was able to keep my winning streak going and wound up kicking Matt's but.  i say that as if i were just stating the fact of course.  No pride here! Then we played in the arcade where Lexi scored some points for tickets that could be cashed in for prizes.  We had so much fun and as a family.
That night to celebrate our anniversary Matt took me to Carraba's which is one of our favorite Italian resturants.  Then we were planning on going to a movie but that didn't happen because we got stuck in traffic and missed our movie.  It did of course give us time to enjoy spending time together which I loved!

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

Oh Gretch, I want to laugh and cry and give you a great big hug for trying! You guys have so much Courage! Remeber that on days when you feel like you'd rather be a cowardly lion. hehe Happy (late) 6th anniversary! Wow, 6 yrs ago, I'd bet you couldn't have seen all this! :) You and your wonderful family are doing great. I love you! I loved that talk also!

Sean and Hillary Monroe said...

Congrats on the anniversary! I completely understand about the needing to/can't laugh thing. Happens A LOT over here! Keep plugging and keeping us informed!